LYL #088 – The Starbucks Experience – 5 Principles for Turning Ordinary Into Extraordinary
Nothing says Christmas like Starbucks. And nothing says intentional like the Starbucks Experience. On this episode of The Live Your List Show your hosts Jerrod and Ryan discuss a new hustle highlight, Ryan shares his favorite coffee recipe, and they dive into the Starbucks Experience, 5 Principles for Turning Ordinary into Extraordinary.
Click to Listen
If you are unable to listen to the episode, click here.
11:11 Make a List Challenge – Christmas Version
5 Principles for Turning Ordinary into Extrodinary
These principles are taken from the wonderful book by Joseph Michelli The Starbucks Experience. If you would like to purchase a copy see below.
1. Make it your own. Companies benefit when all employees understand business priorities and look for ways to bring their individual creativity and passion to meet those objectives.
2. Everything matters. Retail is detail. For that matter, all business is detail. Pay attention to the small things to make the big things happen.
3. Surprise and Delight. Delight is the caramelized popcorn; surprise is the prize! Nowadays people have a certain anticipation or hope that they will be dazzles, even in the most mundane experiences…surprise and delight them!
4. Embrace resistance. Nothing in nature grows without facing limiting forces. Embracing resistance involves a complex set of skills that enable business and individuals to create business and relationship opportunities when they are confronted with criticism, skepticism, irritation, or wariness. You must distinguish between people who want their concerns to be resolved and those who simply like to complain.
5. Leave your mark. Successful business leaders realize that a key part of their success is leaving a powerful and positive mark on their communities. This is the seventh level of Live Your List. Leave a legacy and make a difference.
Nick Collison Picks of the Day
1. The Starbucks Experience by Joseph Michelli. The Starbucks Experience contains a robust blend of home-brewed ingenuity and people-driven philosophies that have made Starbucks one of the world’s “most admired” companies, according to Fortune magazine. With unique access to Starbucks personnel and resources, Joseph Michelli discovered that the success of Starbucks is driven by the people who work there-the “partners”-and the special experience they create for each customer.
2. starbuckssecretmenu.com Starbucks Secret Menu is a collection of beverage creations that have been skillfully concocted by Starbucks baristas and connoisseurs from all around the world. Take notes and order one of these the next time you walk into a Starbucks store. Keep in mind though, that while this is an off-hand menu, it is merely a product of interest and Starbucks culture rather than an “official menu”.
Fired Up Quotes
If you have enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe:
If you have an idea for a show you would like to see or a question about an upcoming episode, email me. Also, if you enjoyed the show, please rate it on iTunes and write a brief review. That would help tremendously in getting the word out! Thanks.