LYL #049 – The Most Important Aspect of Leadership – 5 Tips to Become a Better Communicator
What is the most important aspect of leadership? On this episode of The Live Your List Show your hosts Jerrod and Ryan share five tips on how to be a better communicator and interview Eric Barron of the Steadfast Group.
Click to Listen
If you are unable to listen to the episode, click here.
Eric Barron – The Steadfast Group
The Steadfast Group is a business model designed to offer consulting, coaching, mentoring, and personal communication and media management to small businesses and entrepreneurs.
Eric Barron- Licensed Minister, Principal Consultant, Chief Leadership Coach, and Creative Director- has more than 30 years of experience working with church staffs and volunteers in communications and media. Through wisdom that only comes from that kind of tenure, The Steadfast Group can provide personal attention to help anyone improve leadership and communication skills in every area of life- social, financial, spiritual, relational, and technological.
The Steadfast Group is not a not-for-profit; as a matter of fact, we hope to generate a lot of profit. Once established and fully functioning, 75% of profits (after expenses) will be invested in other small businesses, non-profits, individuals, and ministries that are complimentary to the goals and vision of The Steadfast Group.
5 Ways to Improve Your Communication
1. Never talk over people. Be patient and wait for the speaker to finish their thoughts before you feel the need to input your thoughts.
2. Don’t finish other people’s sentences. Let the speaker say their ideas without throwing your ending to their thoughts.
3. Paraphrase. After then end of a statement or story from the speaker, you can paraphrase their words into your own paraphrased thoughts so you and the speaker know you understand the content.
4. Listen actively. Active listening is putting away your distractions and intentionally listening to what the speaker has to say. Great tips are to put away your phone, computer, headphones, etc. and use your body to listen.
5. Make great eye contact. Don’t be creepy, but it is important for you to focus your attention on the speaker so they know you value their thoughts.
Nick Collison Pick of the Day
1. Own the Room by Amy Jen Su – People are drawn to and influenced by leaders who communicate authentically, connect easily with people, and have immediate impact. So how do you become one of them? How can you learn to “own the room”? This book will help you develop your leadership presence.
According to Amy Jen Su and Muriel Maignan Wilkins, leadership presence is the ability to consistently and clearly articulate your value proposition while influencing and connecting with others. They offer a simple and compelling framework, as well as practical advice about how you can develop your own personal presence.
This Episode’s Fired Up Quotes
If you have enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe:
If you have an idea for a show you would like to see or a question about an upcoming episode, email me. Also, if you enjoyed the show, please rate it on iTunes and write a brief review. That would help tremendously in getting the word out! Thanks.
Question: What tips do you have to become a better communicator? Please leave a comment below.