LYL #047 – Live Where You Are – How To Get From Your Day Job to Your Dream Job
Many of you have a dream and desire to do something great, but have to pay the bills in the meantime. On this episode of The Live Your List Show your hosts Jerrod and Ryan share how to stay in your day job while pursuing your dreams, we interview Dave Burlin about Discharge to In Charge, and great resources on how to get ahead.
Click to Listen
If you are unable to listen to the episode, click here.
Dave Burlin – From Discharge to In Charge
Dave Burlin is a Oklahoma resident, born and raised, with the exception of a term of service in the United States Marine Corps. Following his service in the Marines, Burlin started his family back home in Pryor, OK, marrying his incredible wife Callie and they welcomed their son, Ethan into the world.
Burlin worked at Thunderbird Youth Academy for 6.5 years, changing the lives of over 1,800 of Oklahoma’s “at risk youth,” while moonlighting as an apprentice electrician for 4 of those years. In fall of 2010, he began his exciting career working with DJ Connection, the largest privately owned entertainment company in the country. While bringing the structure and excellence he learned in the military to the world of business, Burlin helped grow DJ Connection and other partner companies from Tulsa to Dallas, and later to Kansas City.
This experience helped him find the voice to create Discharge to In Charge, a venture to help military veterans transition into the world of business. His passion is leadership and personal growth, but his only known weakness is Boston Terrier puppies.
Four Quick Things You Can Help You Get Your Dream Job
1. Improve you. Get better in all sorts of ways. Read, listen to podcasts, go to seminars, meet with coaches. Always try to improve.
2. Improve your product. Make your product (whether it is a service, your work, or actual product) the best it possibly can be. Learn from the best and make your product better.
3. Improve your brand. Everyone has a brand, so make your brand the best possible. Your brand is how people perceive you through interpersonal interaction or online presence.
4. Improve your company. Don’t just improve yourself, your product, and your brand…improve the company where you work. You will raise your game by making your company grow.
Nick Collison Pick of The Day
1. thrive15.com – Thrive15 believes that learning shouldn’t be a chore, it should be fun. So they created what they call Edutainment, it’s their secret formula, you’ll laugh and learn your way to a successful business. Use promo: 1milcups to get a free month.
2. Quitter by Jon Acuff – Have you ever felt caught between the tension of a day job and a dream job? That gap between what you have to do and what you’d love to do? All too often, we hear that dreaming big means you quit your day job, sell everything you own, and move to Guam. But what if there were a different way?
What if you could blow up your dream without blowing up your life? What if you could go for broke without going broke? What if you could start today? What if you already have everything you need to begin? From figuring out what your dream is to quitting in a way that exponentially increases your chance of success, Quitter is full of inspiring stories and actionable advice.
3. 360 Degree Leader by John C. Maxwell – Is it possible to lead well when you’re not the top dog? How about if the person you work for is a bad leader? The answer is a resounding yes!
Welcome to The 360° Leader. People who desire to lead from the middle of organizations face unique challenges. And they are often held back by myths that prevent them from developing their influence. Dr. Maxwell, one of the globe’s most trusted leadership mentors, debunks the myths, shows you how to overcome the challenges, and teaches you the skills you need to become a 360° leader.
4. The Four-Hour Workweek by Timothy Ferris – Forget the old concept of retirement and the rest of the deferred-life plan–there is no need to wait and every reason not to, especially in unpredictable economic times. Whether your dream is escaping the rat race, experiencing high-end world travel, earning a monthly five-figure income with zero management, or just living more and working less, The 4-Hour Workweek is the blueprint.
5. Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert T. Kiyosaki – Rich Dad Poor Dad, the #1 Personal Finance book of all time, tells the story of Robert Kiyosaki and his two dads—his real father and the father of his best friend, his rich dad—and the ways in which both men shaped his thoughts about money and investing. The book explodes the myth that you need to earn a high income to be rich and explains the difference between working for money and having your money work for you.
6. Think and Grow Rich by Napolean Hill – Think and grow rich is the most important financial book ever written. Napoleon Hill researched more than forty millionaires to find out what made them the men that they were. In this book he imparts that knowledge to you. Once you’ve read this book you will understand what gives certain people an edge over everyone else. By following the advice laid out clearly in this book you’ll be the one with an edge. It’s time to stop wondering what it’s like to be rich and start knowing. This book has changed countless lives and it can change yours! Unlike many of the other editions on the market today, this edition is complete and unabridged!
7. Resolution for Men by Randy Alcorn – The Resolution for Men is the inspiring book born out of Courageous, a new film by the makers of Fireproof coming to theaters nationwide in fall 2011. The movie, which presents a powerful story of strong male leadership, is an emotionally charged wake-up call to fathers whose influence upon their children and society is immeasurable. The Resolution for Menfollows to challenge men of all ages to become as bold and intentional about embracing their responsibilities as leaders of their homes, marriages, and children.
8. Power of Focus by Jack Canfield – Whether they are corporate professionals, budding entrepreneurs, or they own a home business, most people are looking to achieve more in less time, while earning enough money to live comfortably. This book reveals the proven techniques thousands of people have used to attain all of the money they wanted while living healthy, happy and balanced lives. The Power of Focus, the new blockbuster from the coauthors of the bestselling Chicken Soup for the Soul, is a practical no-nonsense guide that shows readers how to reach their business, personal and financial goals without getting burned out in the process.
9. goodreads.com – Goodreads is the world’s largest site for readers and book recommendations. Their mission is to help people find and share books they love. Goodreads launched in January 2007.
This Episode’s Fired Up Quotes
If you have enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe:
If you have an idea for a show you would like to see or a question about an upcoming episode, email me. Also, if you enjoyed the show, please rate it on iTunes and write a brief review. That would help tremendously in getting the word out! Thanks.
Question: How do you get from your day job to your dream job? Please leave a comment below.