LYL #031 – Kevin Durant, Nick Collison, and Live Your List: Unexpected Leadership Lessons From the OKC Thunder
Professional sports have everything to do with leadership and Live Your List. In this episode of The Live Your List Show your hosts Jerrod and Ryan talk about their favorite team – the OKC Thunder – and the leadership lessons we can learn from them.
Click to Listen
If you are unable to listen to the episode, click here.
Unexpected Leadership Lessons From The OKC Thunder
1. We all play different roles. Just like each member of the Thunder team has been carefully selected and groomed for his position, we all bring something different and valuable to the table.
2. Play to your strengths. Know your role and utilize your strengths to bring the most value to your team. A team of superstars may not play as well as an actual team.
3. Surround yourself with people who are not like you. We enjoy being around people just like us, but we will see substantial growth if people with different strengths and abilities join our team.
4. Be careful who you compare yourself to. It may be easy to see other high achievers and feel like we are not doing much. We don’t see the struggles and hard times in their journey, and if we know our role we should try to perform that role as best as possible.
5. You will never arrive, so why wait? Even Kevin Durant, with all of his accolades and achievements, is not OK with his progress. Don’t wait to be the best in the world, go out their and be the best you can be.
6. You should have a coach. The better professionals athletes become, the more coaches they have. The better we get in our life, the more coaches we should have.
7. Ask for help. Professional athletes will go to other exceptional players to improve their game. If you want to become a better sales person, go to the best and ask for help.
8. You are probably underrated. Russell Westbrook is one of the best basketball players in the world, and he has been consistently criticized for his play. You probably work very hard and do things no one notices. Don’t underestimate your value.
Nick Collison Pick of the Day
1. The Official OKC Thunder App – This is the official mobile app of the Oklahoma City Thunder. It delivers an unrivaled interactive team experience by providing the most up-to-date scores, schedules, news, and stats.
This Episode’s Fired Up Quotes
If you have enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe:
If you have an idea for a show you would like to see or a question about an upcoming episode, email me. Also, if you enjoyed the show, please rate it on iTunes and write a brief review. That would help tremendously in getting the word out! Thanks.
Question: What leadership lessons have you learned from the OKC Thunder? Please leave a comment below.