LYL #024 – Why Dave Ramsey Would Chase Us With Giant Scissors: Money and Live Your List
Money, Money, Money…Money! Money isn’t the most important thing in the world, but it can be an issue as you start your Live Your List journey. In this episode of The Live Your List Show your hosts Jerrod and Ryan talk about how you can use money to work for you, how to determine your worth, and why Dave Ramsey would hate us and chase us with giant scissors.
Click to Listen
If you are unable to listen to the episode, click here.
Our Two Cents on Money
1. You don’t have to be rich to Live Your List. It may be easier to chase your dreams if you are Donald Trump or Oprah Winfrey, but you don’t have to be rich to Live Your List. The most important aspect is to be intentional about the decisions, relationships, and opportunities you are presented with on a daily basis.
2. There will never come a day when you make so much money it won’t be an issue. Money will be an issue because you must always handle it and be responsible for your decisions.
3. If you are doing something solely for fame or for fortune it will be fruitless. Chances are you will never arrive to that point, and if you do you will be unhappy and unsatisfied.
4. Determine how much you are worth per hour. Determine your hourly rate so you can decide whether what you are doing to save money is worth your time. If you are worth $40 an hour and you are spending an hour to save $15 dollars…your time might be better spent doing other things. Outsource things that aren’t worth your time.
5. Follow the hourglass technique. If you are trying to determine wise ways to spend money, make all of your purchasing decisions pass through an hourglass filter.
6. Practice personal discipline. You have to take personal responsibility when it comes to your spending. If you want to get ahead, stop spending money on waste or things that aren’t helping you achieve your dreams and Live Your List.
11:11 Make a List
How to Save Money Fast:
Second Hand Stores
Cut out cable
Shop Insurance Rates
Change your W-4
This Episode’s Nick Collison Picks of the Day
1. Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey – By now, you’ve heard all the nutty get-rich-quick schemes, the fiscal diet fads that leave you with a lot of kooky ideas but not a penny in your pocket. Hey, if you’re tired of the lies and sick of the false promises, take a look at this—it’s the simplest, most straightforward game plan for completely making over your money habits. And it’s based on results, not pie-in-the-sky fantasies.
With The Total Money Makeover: Classic Edition, you’ll be able to: 1. Design a sure-fire plan for paying off all debt—meaning cars, houses, everything 2. Recognize the 10 most dangerous money myths (these will kill you) 3. Secure a big, fat nest egg for emergencies and retirement!
This Episode’s Fired Up Quotes
If you have enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe:
If you have an idea for a show you would like to see or a question about an upcoming episode, email me. Also, if you enjoyed the show, please rate it on iTunes and write a brief review. That would help tremendously in getting the word out! Thanks.
Question: Should people have credit cards? Where does the line between recreation and obsession lie when mixed with discipline? Please leave a comment below.